Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 41

For everyone who has been waiting for another post: sorry it has taken so long! Since spring break I have been experiencing some pretty yucky cases of morning sickness. I'm not sure who came up with that name since, for me, it lasts pretty much all day, every day! Yesterday and today have been better, as long as I go outside frequently and have interaction with other people and keep myself busy. Distraction helps. But with school I have unfortunately had to spend quite a bit of time quietly sitting alone, studying, mostly inside...it hasn't been fun at all!

An update on the baby's development:
The baby is now about 1/2" long! It's beginning to straighten out of its "C" shape. The arms and legs have lengthened out and both have plates on the ends where the fingers and toes will develop. The eyes are pigmented (so they would look black on an ultrasound) and there are little growths were the external ears will soon be. The windpipe and voicebox are developing and the teeth are already starting to grow beneath the baby's gums. He or she is beginning to develop an upper lip, too! The intestines are forming and the liver has grown to fill most of its body right now, leaving little room for anything else. Did you know that you develop 3 kidneys?! The first one the fetus develops is basically worthless...I plan on doing a little research into why you develop 3 if, in the end, only 2 remain. I did find out the other day that my great-grandma and one of my great-aunts both have 3 kidneys! I'm not sure if they all 3 function normally but, it was interesting to find that out. I'd never heard of that before.

David and I have finally figured out our insurance. It's brand new with his new job at the fire dept. so we've had to wait for everything to get entered into their system. But it looks like our hospital is covered and we will be scheduling our first appointment within the next week or so! I've read that the first sonogram can be done around 8 weeks (I'll be 8 weeks tomorrow...) to determine the number of babies in the womb. (Not that I'm expecting more than one! ;-P But wouldn't that be a blessing?!?!)

Everyone keeps asking me about cravings... No, I have not had any weird food cravings and NO, I haven't kicked David out of bed at 3 in the morning, sending him to go get me pickles and ice cream! haha. I'm pretty sure the all-day sickness will have to pass completely before I have any cravings. Nothing sounds good right now!

"I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
-Psalm 139:14

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear you have been having "all day" sickness! I definitely pray that it will be a thing of the past for you! I had ultrasounds with each boy right at 6 weeks and not only saw each little baby, but their heartbeat too! Some babies you cannot see the heartbeat until closer to seven weeks, but by eight you really should be able to! WAY exciting!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete